Beautiful Girl

Beautiful Girl

Friday, June 13, 2008

Rough Start


Today was my first sonogram of the second cycle, which they do to ensure that there are no large cysts on my ovaries. There weren't, thank God, and I didn't have to do blood work this time. I asked Dr. Haas if we could have 200 mg of clomid instead of 150 since this would be our last try for awhile, and he said that it would be more effective to have the 150 mg along with some shots to get the eggs to grow. The shots, along with the insemination, will really increase our chances of getting pregnant. The downside, as my sister Debby can tell you, is that I have to give myself the shots at home. I am not the least bit afraid of needles, but I have never given myself injections, and I'm a little freaked out by that. However, I guess if I ever want to be a mom, I have to not be a weenie now. The doc said that the shots were about $60 each, and I need 3. That's a little spendy, but since this is our last try and we really want to give it every chance to work, Jeff said to go ahead and get the shots.


Fast forward to an hour later at Wal-Mart (where I went because they are supposed to be CHEAPER) and the lady telling me that 3 shots would cost $1000. Fast forward another hour when I am at my usual pharmacy where I am hearing the same thing. I sat in the pharmacy chair and called both Jeff and my mother, sobbing incoherently. Without the shots, my chances of getting more than one egg are incredibly small. We did this before in IL, so last month was actually the second time we had an egg that failed to either fertilize or implant, and it is clear to me that I need more eggs if we are ever going to succeed at this. So, all I can think of is all the money we have spent and are going to spend this month, and how our chances of conceiving are infinitesimal. That's when the pharmacist demands $70 for the clomid.


After a great many tears later, a call to the doctor and another round of calls to Jeff and my mother, the nurse called me back and told me that she had located a pharmacy that had the shots for $77 each. That is so, so, so much better than $300! Praise Jesus! I'm off to the pharmacy, again . . .
Sonogram: $100
Clomid: $70
Shots: $234

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Oh geez...as if you need more heartache and stress!! Your blood pressure must have gone through the roof! Hang in there! Have faith, breath, and breath again. I will be praying for you!

Denise said...

Hi Bobbie,
I read Joanna's blog all the time and thought I would check on your progress. I thought of 2 things...
1) There are people in herbal medicine that specialize in infertility. They often have success after doctors fail. I attended a 2 day class and will look for my notes. You may find information on line too.
2) My brother Steve and his wife only got pregnant after he quit drinking... of course, Steve is an alcoholic.
Take care and I will pray for you :o)
Denise