Beautiful Girl

Beautiful Girl

Thursday, February 21, 2013

I May Have Whiplash

 . . . from flip-flopping on this issue.  As soon as I posted the last entry, I started to get really depressed.  I just knew in my heart that homeschooling was where I wanted to be.  After a lot of prayer, deliberation, and discussions with my long-suffering husband, I am right back to where I was - a homeschooling parent.  This is what I want, it's what Jeff wants, and what we both feel will be the best thing for Bethie.  I still have the issues I mentioned last time, but I've realized how incredibly anal I am about things - it's all or nothing with me.  One of the beautiful things about homeschooling is that it is not - nor should it be - just a mini classroom.  I am laughing a little bit at myself now for the schedules and grading sheet I made up a year ago.  Not only is that just a little silly to me now, it was also putting a huge amount of stress on my shoulders.  This is what I have come to realize:


  • I am not in this alone.  Jeff and I can homeschool together.  If I can't take her on field trips during the week, we have all weekend for that.  Jeff and I love museums and outings and things of that nature, so I should have thought of this before.
  • It doesn't have to be a 5-day a week schedule.  We can do an hour here and there, or plan out two days a week to homeschool and the rest of the time we can see how my body feels.
  • I need to have a weekly goal sheet for myself so that I know what we should be doing, but it is silly to plan out two hours a day for Bethie.  At this age, she is learning so much just by playing and exploring.   I need to throw out my classroom rigidity and just enjoy learning with her.
Thank you for listening to me rant, for offering your opinions even when they differed from mine (I always love a good debate!), and for supporting me.  I am so utterly blessed!

No comments: